The Mitacs Globalink Research Internship
The Mitacs Globalink Research Internship scheme is a UK-Canada research mobility programme for Undergraduates. It is a competitive programme which co-funds undergraduates from partner countries to complete an intensive 12-week summer research internship, in a variety of academic disciplines, under the supervision of a professor at one of 70 participating Canadian universities.
In the 2021-2022 academic year, Mitacs (in partnership with the University of Manchester) will offer full funding for a maximum of 5 Manchester undergraduate students.
In the UK, the scheme is managed by Universities UK International (UUKi), who is a partner of Mitacs, a not-for-profit Canadian national research organisation.
For further information on the Globalink Research Internship scheme, please visit the UUKi website and Mitacs website and read MITACS-UUKI GLOBAL RESEARCH INTERNSHIP PROGRAMME
Information about the scheme
- Applicants must have one year remaining in their undergraduate program as of Fall 2022.
- Students on four-year combined undergraduate/master’s programs must either be going into the final year of the undergraduate portion of their degree (i.e. year three out of four) or be going into the final year of their degree upon completion of the internship, as well as those on four-year programs with a year abroad or in industry.
- be at least 18 years of age.
- have a minimum weighted average of 60%, equivalent to a 2:1.
- be able to spend 12 weeks in the period May – October 2022 at a university in Canada on a research project related to their area of interest and expertise.
- apply to a minimum of three to seven pre-existing research projects designed by Canadian professors and ensure selections are from at least three different Canadian provinces
- be nominated by UoM to participate in the scheme
Please see the Mitacs’s frequently asked questions for further details.
This is a fully-funded opportunity.
The total cost of the programme is $12,000 CAD per student (approximately £7,010) and will be apportioned as follows:
- Mitacs: $8,000 CAD (approximately £4,670)
- The University of Manchester: $4,000 CAD (approximately £2,340)
Funding will cover:
- round-trip airfare to Canada
- airport transfer to accommodations in Canada
- stipend for housing, food, and incidentals
- health insurance
- stipend towards student enrolment fees up to a maximum of $300
- support from student mentors on campus in Canada
- registration for industry events, professional development courses, and social activities
If you are interested in this programme you must be nominated by The University of Manchester– you cannot apply independently.
- You must check you meet the eligibility criteria before submitting an expression of interest.
- Mitacs - Expression of Interest and submit it via email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Monday 9th August 2021.
- The International Programmes Office will nominate all students who meet the essential criteria. Students details will be shared with UUKi, who will confirm student’s eligibility to apply to the scheme with Mitacs.
- All eligible students will then receive instructions on how to apply to the Mitacs programme.
- Selection decisions are made by Mitacs.
The required documentation is listed on the MITACS website here: Globalink Research Internship | Mitacs