Our travel insurance policy provides free emergency assistance and advice, including cover for emergency medical and repatriation expenses, evacuation cost, cancellation and curtailment costs, personal liability and legal expenses.

If you need to make an insurance claim, please ensure that you have read the policy thoroughly and report to the University Insurance Office within 30 days of the date of incident to get your claim form. If you are claiming for medical treatment, please make sure that you have all the medical reports and receipts for your treatment.

Please note that routine dental treatment is NOT covered by the policy.  You should undertake a dental check-up and complete all dental treatment prior to departure.  Emergency dental treatment is covered only if the treatment is deemed to be medically necessary by a medical professional following an accident and the accident occurs outside the mouth.

Please make  sure that you review the University Travel Insurance Leaflet (2022-2023) for full details of coverage

Further details can be found at:


AIG Travel Assistance mobile app 

With increasing travel security and health risks, navigating the world of international travel requires a new level of sophistication in order to stay safe and secure. The AIG Travel Assistance mobile app*, available for Apple and Android devices, will ensure effective travel risk management. Whether it’s prior to travel, during your time abroad, or returning home. The app provides you with convenient access to in-depth travel, security and health information 24/7/365.

Further details on how to get the app can be found AIG Travel Assistance App


Making a claim

If you need to make a claim, further details can be found at:


Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC)

If you are going to be studying or working in an EU country (this does not include Norway, Liechtenstein, Iceland or Switzerland) you will need to apply for a time limited GHIC (a student GHIC). This will give you the rights to access state-provided healthcare during your stay. For full information, including how to apply for an GHIC, please click here.

Please Note: The NHS will ask for your overseas address to to be included in the GHIC letter we produce, if you do not have this, you can inform the NHS via email that you do not have your housing confirmed yet.

Each country's healthcare system is slightly different, for more information on what is covered, see this guide to healthcare in the EU and this guide to healthcare in the different EU countries.


Stay Connected 

Specific risk information on countries can be found on the following sites:

• Foreign Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) Travel Advice -

• AIG Travel Assistance or mobile app “AIG Travel Assistance App”

All students can register themselves onto this site using the University policy number (0010015245).

Contact details for the University Insurance Office:


Tel:  +44(0)161 275 2243


Insurance details

Insurance Company:  AIG Europe Limited

Policy Holder/Insured:  The University of Manchester

Policy number:  0010015245


For emergency medical assistance call AIG Europe: +44 (0) 1273 552 922

For emergency security assistance call AIG Europe: +1 817 826 7000



For questions about the insurance provision or advice on making a claim:

University insurance website


tel: +44 (0)161 275 2243