Safety Abroad

All undergraduate students undertaking an international placement must read and sign a Generic Travel Risk Assessment. You will need to familiarise yourself with the risks you may encounter during your international placement and take the recommended steps to mitigate those risks. 

Staying safe while abroad is all about being well-prepared and well-informed. The University is here to offer advice, but ultimately you are responsible for ensuring that you do your research before you go and that you make sensible decisions once you’re abroad. Some of the risks you face in your destination country will be similar to risks you face in the UK, but might be more difficult to deal with because of language, cultural or procedural differences; other risks, like natural disasters or political instability, might be completely new to you.





Personal Factors


Key safety tips

In an emergency situation if you are a Manchester student studying/working overseas, please contact AIG Europe Ltd on +44 (0)1273 727 416 or email